Welcome to Foster Hope.
Thank you for offer to volunteer with us and share your time and your skills with our organisation.
Foster Hope is a registered charity providing basic but essential items for children going into foster care. Many of the children we assist arrive at their new placements with nothing but the clothes on their backs or with their belongings in a black rubbish sack. This “Foster Hope Clothing” division has been set up to help children who arrive in care with little or no clothing. We want to ensure that they have something to wear until the various clothing grants from the foster agency come through. We want these children to know that there is a whole community who cares about them.
We’re excited that you can join us as we undertake this journey to change the lives of many children currently in foster care.
Purpose of Role:
The purpose of this voluntary role within Foster Hope is to co-ordinate the collection of donated clothing, wash if needed, sort out and dispose of anything marked or ripped then sort into shopping bags by age/sex and attached a printed flyer so that the social worker can identify the bags easily. Once complete we will give you the contact details of your local social worker who will either collect from you or perhaps you will deliver to their offices. The bags will then be given to children going into foster care who have arrived with nothing or very little of their own just to tide them over until the funding grants kick in.
Where possible, can you sort the bags so that there is a range of clothing for each age group inside a bag. At this stage we’re looking at using shopping bags so if at all possible, it would be good to have a couple of tops & pants to last them a couple of days instead of one kid receiving a bag of tee shirts and someone else just getting shorts. Would be great to include new underwear.
Can you also please photograph the goods (just one photo of a whole pile is fine) and then post them on the local Foster Hope Facebook page with a quick thank you message so that donors know that they have arrived safely.
As a volunteer I agree to:
- Fulfil the functions and obligations of this role to the best of my ability.
- Abide by and support the philosophy, policy and guidelines of Foster Hope.
- Act in the best interests of Foster Hope.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Bank all money collected and email receipts to head office promptly.
- Attend planned meetings, working bees and appointments if required.
- Maintain a record of the hours you have very kindly volunteered with Foster Hope.
- Raise any concerns when necessary.
- Provide feedback when asked.
Foster Hope agrees to:
- Provide recognition. We understand that the success of our organisation lies in the continual support of volunteers and we value your donation of time highly.
- Provide information about the organisation.
- Provide a safe working environment
- Listen to ideas and feedback.
- Provide reimbursement for pre-approved expenses.
- Provide a thoroughly rewarding experience through the knowledge that the work you are doing will help improve the lives of foster children throughout New Zealand.